Friday, October 21, 2011

River's Placenta Burial Ceremony

For River's 1st Birthday, we finally buried his placenta. I decided an orange tree was appropriate as I craved oranges while pregnant...
 Hole dug, orange tree and placenta ready...
 Cuddles with Dad, while I place the placenta in the hole...

I then read this blessing that I wrote...

For River....

May you grow strong, my son.
May your roots wind their way into, and become one with the Earth,
so that that you may stay grounded, my son.
May your branches reach out, far and wide, so you may become wise, my son.
May your leaves be bright as they bask in the sun, so you may be happy, my son.
May you always have room inside a hollow for your family, so you may always feel loved, my son.
May you always let me, your Mama, be your sun.
Look up to me, reach out to me, and you will always feel warmth, my son.

Grant covers our placenta with dirt, and plants the tree. 

River checks out his tree.

Sharing a quiet moment, feeling strange that there is no longer a placenta in our freezer, but happy to have said our goodbyes and given thanks for nourishing our little man for 9 and half months.
Our little ceremony was simple and sweet. Can't wait to watch this tree, and River grow.

Peace
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment